Before beginning to design your Moodle courses, think about requesting a metacourse or special shell. Review the options for both requests below. After determining your need, you can begin to customize the interface of your courses to suit your needs. Add or update your profile, insert blocks to add additional functionality, and keep up with your students when they have questions.
REQUESTING A MOODLE SPECIAL SHELL
A Moodle Shell can be requested by College staff and faculty. Requested shells can be used for Advisement, College Programs, exploring Moodle, building course shells for future courses, or other non-academic College projects. To request a shell please send a request for the course through TrackIt, located on the portal, to the Learning and Design group. Please give as much details about the course that you would like to be created. *Please note that all curriculum courses are generated for each department via Colleague about six weeks before the start of the term.
EDITING YOUR PROFILE
It is important for instructors to update their biographical statement and photograph to promote teaching presence. A profile provides a personal approach to a fully online or hybrid learning experience.
Follow the instructions below to edit your profile:
- Find the User Menu on the top-right hand side of the screen.
- Click Profile.
- On the center of the page locate the section labeled User Details.
- Click on Edit Profile.
- In the Description text field, add a biographical statement.
- Find the User picture section.
- Click Add to upload a current picture.
- Find the Picture description.
- Enter a description.
- Add optional contact information, as necessary.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page.
- Click Update profile.
HIDING NAVIGATION DRAWER
Course navigation drawer, located on the right side of your course, can be hidden through the use of the Collapsable menu (hamburger icon)! This will allow you to unclutter your page, and increasing screen space.
Follow the instructions below to hide navigation drawer:
- Find and click on the Collapsable menu (hamburger icon) on the top left side.
- Click the hamburger icon again to show the navigation drawer.
Sending Messages Through Moodle
Moodle allows you to send group and individual messages. The best way to send messages to your entire class is through the Announcements Forum. This way, students will receive your message through their email, on their Moodle home page, and through the Moodle course.
NOTE: Students cannot reply to the Announcements Forum.
Follow the instructions below to send a group message through the Announcements Forum:
- Log in to your course.
- Find the Annoucements at the top of your course page.
- Click Announcements Forum.
- Click the Add a new topic button.
- Enter a Subject and Message in the text fields.
- Click Add… to add any attachments (e.g. files, images, etc.) to your message.
- Select the Mail now check box to send your message immediately.
- Click Post to forum when finished.
Follow the instructions below to send an individual message:
- Click Participants in the course navigation drawer.
- Find the student’s name.
- Select the check box next to the student’s name.
- At the bottom of the page, click the With selected users… drop-down menu.
- Click Send a message.
- Enter a message in the Message body text box.
- When finished, click Preview.
- Click Send a message.
READING MESSAGES THROUGH MOODLE
Moodle allows you to send messages to your students. You should receive a notification of this message in your CSULA email. However, if the student has sent the message to you through Moodle, you will also receive a notification in Moodle that will remind you each time you log in (until you check the message).
Follow the instructions below to read recent messages:
- Find and click the Messages menu on the top right side of the screen, next to your name.
- Click on recent messages to read it or click on the See all link at the bottom of the window to view all messages received.